Meetings

LRC Managers Business Meeting, 26th April 2017

School Library Resource Centre Managers Business Meeting

Greenfaulds High School 26/4/17

Present: Catrina Allan (Dalziel HS), Martin Boyle (OLHS, Cumbernauld), Lee-Anne Connor (Chryston HS), Anna Leslie (Taylor HS), Gemma Genks (Clyde Valley HS), Agnes Leckie (Coltness HS), Irene Lumsden (Calderhead HS), Lindsey Smith (Kilsyth Academy), Lesley Ann MacDonald (Caldervale HS), Jen Macfadyen (OLHS, Motherwell), Emma McManus (Greenfaulds HS, Host), Catriona Wright (St Ambrose HS)

Apologies: Anna Agnew (Airdrie Academy), Lorna Boyd (Belshill Academy), Mary Costello (Coatbridge HS), Mary Datali (St Andrews HS), Susan Kilbride (Cumbernauld Academy), Marie McGough (St Aidan’s HS), Sharon McMichael (St Maurice’s HS) Rhona Skea (Cardinal Newman HS)

  1. Emma welcomed the attendees to the Business Meeting hosted by Cumbernauld and Kilsyth Area Group. Gemma Genks was given a warm welcome to the group as the new LRCM at Clyde Valley.  Minutes of the previous meeting were approved.

 

  1. Author events/REImagination

There was discussion of the author events taking place at Cumbernauld library for schools during the REImagination run by the Edinburgh Book Festival.  Lindsey Smith agreed to be the point of contact for information dissemination relating to CultureNL and public libraries in the future as Alison was no longer there.  Emma reported that they were looking to change the time of the creative writing event so it fitted in with the school day.

There were discussions about the various author events that had taken place.  Keith Gray was at St Ambrose and Catriona reported back that he was an excellent speaker for S1.  Jen reported that Jill Arbuthnott was also a success at OLHS as was Bea Ferguson at Coltness for the S1 age group as reported by Agnes.

Lee-Anne reported that Chryston were planning to have a literacy festival next year and that Lari Don was visiting the next day (27/4)

There was a short discussion of Coatbridge High bringing in an author in residence and this led on to discussion of the new opportunities available with Scottish Book Trust to apply for something similar.

 

  1. Live Lit funding was discussed only briefly as the next closing date wasn’t until September.

 

  1. Attainment Fund Update

Catriona provided an update on the work she was doing on her Enhanced Transition project at St Ambrose.  Discussions with Terry Cowan, Literacy Development Officer with NL, revealed a desire to introduce Reading for Pleasure to the curriculum.  Catriona was looking for volunteers for a group to work on this and ensure school librarians have a real input as well as for ideas to put to Terry on how it could be achieved.  Lee-anne, Jen, Lesley Ann, Catriona and Irene were happy to put themselves forward for this.  It was suggested that Lorna Boyd (Bellshill) and Cathy Macintyre (Taylor HS) might also like to take part.

Email discussion would be ongoing before a meeting on Monday 8th May.  As Terry Cowan was looking to implement something for 2017/18 Catriona stressed it was important to move quickly on this matter.

This moved on to the Read Write Ink initiative as well as the usefulness  of terminology such as “reluctant readers”

Lee-Anne then provided an overview of the Attainment Fund project at Chryston and was pleased to relate how well it was going.

 

  1. P7 transitions

Lee-Anne was keen to hear from other LRCMs what kind of work they did on Primary transitions.  A short discussion followed on the various activities and ideas were shared with the group.

 

  1. Sharing good practise

A discussion took place on different ways to help some students read on the computer screens.  Irene mentioned CALL Scotland as a resource for help with disabilities that provide barriers to learning such as dyslexia.  Other tools discussed included Rocket Reader and Ginger.  Fonts were also discussed with Jen reporting that Barrington Stoke default fonts were available to use on computers.

Emma showed the group the work she had done for Harry Potter book night and how she had turned it into a week of activities working in collaboration with Science and Art.  The group agreed it sounded like a fantastic experience for the pupils and were impressed with Emma’s efforts.  Emma also discussed her lunchtime book club and how it has evolved while she has been at the school.

 

  1. AOCB

There was a short discussion of alternative arrangements for exams and whether libraries were involved in this.

There was a short discussion on current trends in teen books, Agnes was keen to hear what pupils were asking for.  It was also discussed how some of the books that pupils in S1/S2 were asking for were not actually appropriate for the age group.

There was a short discussion on overdues.

There was a short discussion on what do with videos – suggestions were to upload to Vimeo.  Audacity software was recommended for audio.

Lee-Anne and Irene reported on a plan to set up a SLG/SLA networking event in Glasgow on the 2nd June.  Response was positive.

 

  1. Date of next meeting

TBC by Motherwell/Wishaw group.  Likely dates around the end of September.

Advertisements
Categories: Meetings, PRD / CPD | Tags: | Leave a comment

LRC Manager Business Meeting, 1st February 2017

School Library Resource Centre Managers Business Meeting

St. Ambrose High School 1/2/17

Present: Anna Agnew (Airdrie Academy), Catrina Allan (Dalziel HS), Lorna Boyd (Bellshill Academy), Martin Boyle (OLHS, Cumbernauld), Lee-Anne Connor (Chryston HS), Mary Costello (Coatbridge HS), Mary Datilli (St Andrews HS), Agnes Leckie (Coltness HS), Irene Lumsden (Calderhead HS), Lindsey Smith (Kilsyth Academy), Lesley Ann MacDonald (Caldervale HS), Jen Macfadyen (OLHS, Motherwell), Sharon McMichael (St Maurice’s HS), Catriona Wright (host)

Apologies: Marie McGough (St Aidan’s HS), Emma McManus (Greenfaulds HS), Cathy McIntyre (Taylor HS)

  1. Catriona welcomed the attendees to the inaugural informal Business Meeting hosted by Airdrie and Coatbridge Area Group. A discussion followed regarding the format of future meetings.  The first item for discussion being the name of the meeting, it was agreed that the group would continue to call the meeting by its original title, Business Meeting.  As a follow up to the Business Meeting the Librarians will continue to have Area Group meetings within a few weeks, to discuss items in more detail.

Emma McManus, has agreed to host the next Business Meeting, in April or May, for the Cumbernauld and Kilsyth Area Group.  Catriona will compile an electronic folder of minutes, agenda templates, etc. to help with planning next meeting.  This folder should be forwarded on to host of each Business Meeting.  The size of the folder may become an issue in future regarding available space on First Class.

The Business Meetings will follow the same date pattern as in the past and will be limited to 3 morning sessions per year.  Autumn – Sep/Oct, Winter – Jan/Feb, Spring – Apr/May.  Each Area should select a suitable date and then disseminate to the rest of the groups.

Information will be shared on the Three Ring Circus (https://lrcms.wordpress.com) and will be password protected.  Jen Macfadyen will action this.

The future format of the meeting should include items of business, sharing good practice and expert workshops.  Speakers who are willing to address the meeting voluntarily should be identified.

 

  1. Information dissemination – now that there is no natural overall Library link for School Librarians within the council, it was decided that the group would share information dissemination in a number of areas:
  • CILIPS and SLG – Lee-Anne
  • AccessIt – Lorna
  • Scottish Booktrust and online book suppliers – Lesley Ann
  • CultureNL – Alison Walsh
  • SLA – Irene
  • Scotia – Agnes
  • Waterstones – Catrina A
  • SLIC – Jen

 

  1. Reader Development and Live Literature Funding – A discussion ensued regarding applying for LLF and how to fill in the application form.  Successful applications could be stored somewhere electronically as examples.  Lorna suggested that it might be an idea to mention the level of deprivation within the school catchment and that, possibly, pupils may not have any other opportunity to engage in these types of events.  Several Librarians discussed author events they had hosted recently with mixed reports from different schools and audiences.  Gill Arbuthnot is coming to OLHS, Motherwell and Keith Gray to St Ambrose in the near future.  Jen reported that Martin Stewart had been to OLHS and had been very good with S2/S3.  Mary reported that the Coatbridge HS Literary Festival had been a great success.

Agnes mentioned that if colleagues are looking to book authors independently rather than through the Book trust, they should ask their AFA to check the Corporate supplier list for payment details; these can then be lifted on to their own school list.

 

  1. MySelf payslips – there was a short discussion about payslips now only being available electronically. Lindsey agreed to forward an email contact to enable colleagues to request a duplicate email with their link to the site and individual password.

 

  1. Scottish Attainment Fund – Chryston and St Ambrose have both been awarded funding through this government scheme. Chryston’s project is based around the P7 transition programme, with S5 pupils being matched with 19 P7 pupils from feeder primary schools in a paired reading project making use of iPads purchased with the funding and ebooks resourced from RM.  Catriona has been involved in spending the budget allocated for resources as part of the Enhanced Transition project that St Ambrose is involved in.  A substantial proportion of this funding was earmarked for Reading for Pleasure.

 

  1. Professional news – Lee-Anne reported that the SLG committee are still focussed on redeveloping the blog and will now concentrate their efforts on an online presence. There is also a meeting planned with YLG and SLA to firm up remits.  Lee-Anne has also attended a CILIPS council meeting and reported that there had been a meeting with Deputy First Minister, MP John Swinney on the 26th  At the moment work is ongoing on improving “How good is your school?” for school libraries.

Autumn Gathering – will be in the same venue as last year in Glasgow and will be a week or so later @ 26th October 2017.  It will continue to follow the same format as previous years.

Jen reported that SLIC are in the process of re-designing the November indicators to reflect more qualitative than quantitative data.

  1. AOCB – AccessIt – Roadshow is planned for May but no date set yet. Cost will be £90 for full day training. It was suggested that at the time of the roadshow, Lorna (in her capacity as AccessIt liaison) should contact Graeme (NLC) and Ken (AccessIt) to arrange collaboration in getting the software upgraded to Version 9.

Developing the Young Workforce – a number of schools are now involved in this scheme and Jen provided the group with a link to more information. www.gov.scot/Resource/0046/00466386.pdf

Kid’s Lit Quiz 2017 – will be held on 31st October at OLHS, Cumbernauld

 

  1. Date of next meeting – tbc by Cumbernauld and Kilsyth Area.
Categories: Meetings, PRD / CPD | Tags: | Leave a comment

LRC Business Meeting 7th September 2016

We met at St Aidan’s High School for our first Business Meeting this year with a busy wee agenda catching up with the latest news and reviewing recent activities and events.  We were all agreed on the benefits of remaining current with the First Minister’s Reading Challenge for primary children, with several colleagues already signed up as interested parties. None of us were aware yet of any associated primaries who were involved.

We were all very impressed with the outline for Coatbridge High’s forthcoming Literacy Festival in October (which we’ll hopefully hear more about later) and discussed June’s Reading Boot Camp, SALS, Encounters, future CPD, recommended suppliers and our latest Library stories.

Future events included the Kids Lit Quiz 2016 (27th October) with Elizabeth Wein and Alex McCall as confirmed authors so far. New members are welcome to join the Calendar Group to help us plan out activities across the year.

And of course we all enjoyed exploring Marie’s beautiful Library.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Categories: Meetings, PRD / CPD | Tags: , , | Leave a comment

Motherwell Area Group

An eclectic bunch of Motherwell Area librarians met this week for our regular discussion of on-going activities and new initiatives, including two LRC Managers, a Librarian from Motherwell Library, a Children and Young People’s Librarian from the Education Resource Service and the Librarian of Motherwell College. A motley crew indeed, but all connected through supplying resources and advice to young people and staff.

Since the group had agreed to gather at Motherwell Library this time, first on the agenda was a guided wander around the newly refurbished library, both in the main lending areas complete with curvy shelves (!) and behind the scenes. Librarian, Gillian Hunt, discussed the organisation of the forthcoming ebooks collection, T-Space, collections of Polish, Cantonese and Gaelic fiction, and open learning during the tour. Naturally we were particularly interested in how T-Space, the area specifically laid out by and for teenagers, was being used.

Back with tea and cakes, we had lots of questions for each other about how our various roles overlapped, and how the different services were used. Naturally, we ended up discussing resources, with ebooks being a major theme, but also blogs, including Sweet Bookshelf, a teen fiction review blog, as well as Three Ring Circus of course, and how they could be used to support each other.

There’s a lot of common ground between the school and college libraries, especially in terms of supporting teaching departments, but the open learning facilities of the public library are mirrored in the college. From the schools’ point of view, it was good to hear about how some of our former pupils got on after they had left us. Learning more about how the college library is used was extremely useful, but I think we were all surprised to discover that Motherwell College caters for 20,000 FTE students!

An entertaining and useful afternoon, with the chance to touch base with colleagues that we don’t often get to meet.

Categories: Meetings, PRD / CPD | Tags: | Leave a comment

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.